Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

The right way to win

I was watching a 4th grade travel basketball game today and the home team was losing by 20 points late in the second half and the away team coach still had his starters in and pressing. I thought "why?" I don't blame the kids, I blame the coach. The kids are just doing what the coach tells them to do. To often I see coaches not letting up as the score gets more lopsided as the game winds down. Here was an opportunity for a coach to teach his kids how to win with class and he was still going strong.  I think it's part of a coach's responsibility to teach their players how to win and how to lose.We have all been on the other end of a lopsided score and it's no fun.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! You make a great point here...sport should teach kids valuable life skills about winning and losing....not just winning at all costs.

    I have just found your blog! Thanks for adding me to your Blog list :) I'm following your Blog now too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. It really makes me mad when coaches do that. I don't know what they are trying to prove, but they are definitely not proving that they are good role models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. playd sports age 718/ evryday. softball till early 30's. understand mentality of winning at any cost n killer instinct. also perfecting skillz in game situations. but 2 me playing w/ class n compassion even more important. at any age :)

    ReplyDelete